How to Crochet: What you need to get started + step by step tutorials
Learn how to crochet in this post of what you need and the step by step tutorials to get you started with the basic crochet stitches.
Crochet has so many proven benefits. Sometimes a learning a new craft comes with even more questions, there’s so much to learn.
If you’ve seen cute, cozy hats and scarves that make you want to crochet your own, welcome to the club!
Crocheting is a rewarding hobby that many enjoy and love. But we all have to start somewhere.
Here I compile a short list of essential crochet stitches for when you’re first learning to crochet.
These tutorials will help you get started with the most basic things, like holding the yarn, and work you up to actually making the double crochet stitch.
This post contains affiliate links, I may earn a fee. Read more disclosure policy.
What do you need to learn how to crochet?
- Yarn, there are many types and weights of yarn. Most of us get started crocheting with #4 medium worsted weight yarn. There are plenty of affordable acrylic yarns that won’t break the bank when you’re just starting out.
- A crochet hook that is sized for your yarn. 4mm-6mm crochet hooks work well with #4 yarn. You can chose to purchase a single hook size, or a multi pack, if budget allows. As your crochet skills grow, you will want to crochet more project which will require a variety of both yarn and hook sizes. I have a reference guide on crochet hook sizes here.
- Good lighting. Don’t take this one lightly. Haha, see what I did there? Really though, when I first learned to crochet I had no idea what I was looking at, so don’t let dim lighting get in your way. Learning to see the stitches is an important skill.
- Good posture. At first everything will feel awkward. This is totally normal. But as you settle in to crocheting, but sure to take a few minutes and set yourself up in the most ergonomic position for your body. Looking down at your work, making the same motions over and over again with your hands can both wreak havoc on your body if you’re not in sitting up with your back straight.
- Take breaks. Don’t push yourself too far. Remember to breathe. This does get fun, but learning is a bit of work. Take stock when you’re tensing up. Then lower your shoulders and take a few belly breaths.
One of the reasons I love crocheting (and knitting) is that you really need minimal supplies compared to other crafts. Yarn and hook can get toted around in a bag, and also stored away. You don’t need a lot of space to enjoy crocheting. You can read about more of the benefits of crocheting here.
Common Crochet Terms + Abbreviations with Tutorials
Learning how to crochet includes learning all the abbreviations used in written crochet patterns. Some crochet abbreviations make sense, but some are more challenging to understand.
Best Crochet Hooks for Beginners
The best crochet hooks for beginning crocheters are affordable and easy to use. There are more than a few things to consider when choose a crochet hook. Let’s dive in to the ins and outs now!
What is the Best Yarn to Crochet with?
The best crochet yarn depends on many factors. The best yarn for beginner crocheters is usually an affordable, #4 medium weight yarn that has a smooth texture.
How to Read a Yarn Label | What's on a Yarn Label
Learning to read a yarn label, sometimes called a ball band opens up a wealth of information about your yarn.
How to Crochet a Slip Knot with Pictures and Video
This is how you get started with the yarn on your hook. We use a slip knot to tighten the yarn to the hook.
This post includes a step by step photo tutorial for how to make a slip knot. Plus a video tutorial demonstrating the slip knot.
This is a basic step that most crochet patterns will assume you know.
Learn How To Hold Your Yarn To Crochet
There are a few ways to hold your yarn for crocheting. It’s most common for crocheters to hold their yarn with their non dominant hand.
For instance, I am right handed, so I hold my crochet hook in my right hand. My left hand holds the yarn.
In this tutorial I'll show you how I hold the yarn, plus a few variations. Everything feels odd when you're first starting, so just pick one way and give it a try.
Eventually it will feel normal, or you'll adjust it to suit your needs.
How to Crochet a Chain with Pictures and Video
Learn how to crochet a chain for beginners. The first step in learning how to crochet any pattern. This crochet chain tutorial will have you crocheting your first project in no time!
Chain stitch is a crochet basic that is the foundation to most written patterns. It’s the first step in creating many crochet projects and an essential to learn. If you’re new to crochet then you’ve come to the right place.
This chunky necklace is crocheted entirely with chains!
Learn Crochet Slip Stitch Tutorial-Photo + Video
Learn how to crochet the slip stitch. An essential crochet technique, this stitch is quick and easy to learn.
How to Crochet the Single Crochet Stitch with Pictures and Video
Learn how to crochet the single crochet stitch. This abbreviates as ‘SC’ in written crochet patterns.
In this tutorial you will learn how to single crochet stitch step by step with photos and video.
The single crochet is one of the first stitches most new crocheters learn. It’s an easy stitch and works up quickly.
The Pietra Scarf is a simple single crochet scarf pattern perfect for beginners.
How to Crochet the Half Double Crochet Stitch with Pictures and Video
The half double crochet stitch is a favorite stitch for beginners and experienced crocheters alike. Learn how to crochet this easy and textured crochet stitch.
This tutorial includes step by step photos on how to make the half double crochet. In written patterns “hdc” is the abbreviation.
Once you can half double crochet then you can make this fingerless gloves crochet pattern which come in mens, womens and childrens sizes.
How to Double Crochet Stitch with Pictures and Video
Learn how to crochet the double crochet stitch. Your crochet pattern may abbreviate this stitch as “dc.”
This tutorial will show you exactly how to crochet this stitch. The step by step tutorial includes photos on how to crochet the double crochet.
This one is a favorite since it's the tallest basic stitch. That means your project works up faster.
The Nebbia Scarf is a cozy double crochet pattern that works up quickly too.
Treble Crochet Stitch Photo Tutorial + Video
Learn how to make the treble crochet stitch in this step by step tutorial. Wondering what “tr” means in your crochet pattern? It’s the abbreviations for the treble crochet stitch.
Crochet Gauge: What is Gauge + How do you Measure it
Gauge is simply the number of stitches and rows within a certain measurement, usually 4″/10cm square.
How to Weave in Ends a Crochet Tutorial for Finishing
Learn how to finish off your crochet project by weaving in your tail, or ends. This step by step tutorial shows you the process and includes a video tutorial too.