This knitting cast on is really easy to do and you only need a short tail. When you’re learning to knit or crochet, getting started is usually the hardest part.
I love learning new things and exploring new techniques. Knitting is full of so many different ways to do lots of techniques.
And sometimes we just want to get going on our project. So quick and simple is good.
This short tail cast on will have you knitting away in no time.
For this tutorial I’m using a #4 medium worsted weight yarn. Red Heart With Love in the color Cameo.
You can use this cast on with a variety of yarn weights. Likely, your pattern has told you what yarn to use.
If you’re just practicing you can use any yarn you have on hand. Learning the stitches is easier in #4-6 weight yarns (in my opinion), since they’re easier to see.
Never Miss a Pattern
Be sure to join my newsletter for my weekly emails + access to my Resource Library.
Easy Knitting Patterns
Here are some beginner friendly knitting patterns you might enjoy that you can use this cast on method for.
This Chunky Knit Ear Warmer is fast and simple. This is a great first knitting project for total beginners.
Pocket Shawls have been all the rage lately and the Giana Knit Pocket Shawl is cozy and beautiful in only garter stitch.
When you’re ready for a knit blanket the Nocca is knit with superbulky yarn and works up quick. It’s an easy four row repeat.
- any weight yarn, I am using Red Heart With Love , a #4 medium worsted weight yarn
- needles compatible to your yarn, I’m using my 4.5mm US 7 needles. You can use straight needles or cable needles.
Watch the full step by step video tutorial on YouTube.
- I'm using a #4 medium worsted weight yarn
- 4.5mm needle for this tutorial.
- Start with a slip knot on your needle.
- Loop the yarn clockwise around your first two fingers.
- Slide needle under the loop,
- Pull to tighten on needle (but not too tightly).
- Continue casting on, making sure not to tighten the stitches too much.
- Cast on 10 stitches to practice, or the number your pattern calls for.
- Turn and knit in each stitch across.
- Super easy and fast cast on!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Copyright © 2021 ChristaCoDesign/Crystal Marin. This pattern is for personal use only. Please feel free to sell and/or gift items you personally make from this pattern. You may not distribute this pattern and/or photos in any form, including screenshots, email, photocopying, or posting photos of this pattern online, or elsewhere. Please use this link https://christacodesign.com/2021/02/09/a-super-easy-short-tail-cast-on-method/ if you would like to share this pattern.
If you love learning by video tutorial be sure to check out my YouTube Channel!