Crochet the men in your life fingerless gloves for the season. These gloves make a fabulous gift for men, women and children. Anyone and everyone can keep their hands warm in these useful crochet gloves.
Fingerless gloves are great because they keep your hands warm and your fingers free to move. With all the typing we do these days, it’s practically an essential.
These men’s fingerless gloves use the half double crochet stitch. It’s an easy way to get a little interesting texture, without being complicated.
To get the benefit of that hdc texture we’re working in rows. So we’ll crochet on both sides of the fabric to make these gloves.
Make these simple rectangles into gloves with a little sewing. Seam the sides, leave the thumbhole open and you’re all set.
Anyone who appreciates warm hands on your list will love receiving these handmade fingerless gloves.
These gloves are easy to lengthen also. Just crochet more rows. It’s a great pattern to customize for your exact needs.
The yarn I used to make these gloves is from Hobby Lobby-Yarn Bee Secret Soft. It’s a #4 medium worsted weight yarn so any similar yarn will work up well.
I also made several of these in Red Heart Super Saver and Hobby Lobby’s I Love This Yarn. I made a bunch of various colors for my kids. You can get the child size pattern here and the women’s sizes pattern here.
The half double crochet is one of my favorite basic stitches. It works up quickly and easily. I find the hdc to be one of the best looking stitches for simple projects.
- 105 yds/96 m -135 yds/123 m of #4 worsted weight yarn, pictured in Yarn Bee Secret Soft in Shale.
- 5mm US size H-8 crochet hook, or hook needed to meet gauge
- yarn needle
- measuring tape
- Ch 1 at the beginning of the row does not count as a stitch.
Stitches/Abbreviations (US Terms)
Gloves are worked as a flat rectangle, then seamed. You will leave an opening for the thumb when sewing them together.
|Width, seamed, flat|
These fingerless gloves are snug fitting. Go up a size for a looser fit.
Since these are simple half double crochet gloves, you can change the stitch count as needed for a more custom fit.
- #4 medium worsted weight yarn:
- Small 105yds/96m
- Medium 115yds/105m
- Large 125yds/114m
- 5mm US size H-8 crochet hook, or hook needed to meet gauge.
- Fhdc 24 (25, 27, 30) or ch 25, (26, 28, 31) and hdc in the 2nd ch from your hook and in each ch across, turn. = 7.4”/18.8cm (7.7”/19.6cm, 8.3”/21cm, 9.5”/24cm)
- Ch 1, in same st hdc, hdc in each st across, turn.
Rep last row til work measures 7.5”/19cm (7.75”/19.7cm, 8.5”/21.6cm, 9”/23cm)
- Cut yarn, leave a long tail for seaming.Fold in half lengthwise.
- From the top down sew 2.5”/6.4cm (2.6”/6.6cm, 2.8”/7cm, 3”/7.6cm). Leave 1.5”/3.8cm (1.6”/4cm, 1.7”/4.3cm, 2”/5cm) thumbhole unseamed. Then sew last 3.5”/8.9cm (3.6”/9cm, 4”/10cm, 4”/10cm).
- Cut yarn and weave in ends.
Looking for more crochet for men? I love this colorful Men’s Slouchy Beanie from Little John’s Yarn. This would make an amazing gift for someone.