This post contains affiliate links, I may earn a fee. Read more disclosure policy.
Learn how to crochet fingerless gloves for kids. This free crochet pattern is designed for total beginners, so it’s simple to make. Keep those wrists and hands warm while keeping fingers free to play.
The children’s sizes included are for ages 2-4 years, 4-6 years and 6-8 years. The chart below includes suggested yardage and finished sizes. In the pattern you’ll also see target measurements.
These fingerless gloves are well timed for my kiddos. The weather just changed and they are feeling the cold. They wearing their glove while working on the computer, reading and playing outside.
I love it when the kids actual wear my makes. The best part is that these are washable! I just throw them in with the rest of the kid laundry.
My kids tend to put everything on backwards or inside out, and these gloves are no exception. I try to show them on the thumbhole side that the shorter end goes toward their fingers and the longer side toward their wrist. That helps some.
Since this fingerless gloves pattern is crocheted with the half double crochet you easily adjust it to fit your needs. If you want a longer wrist warmer, then add more rows. If you need a wider glove, then add more stitches.
These fingerless gloves are made with #4 medium worsted weight yarn. The yarn picture here is from Hobby Lobby-Yarn Bee Secret Soft. It’s super soft and sleek.
I also made several of these in Red Heart Super Saver and Hobby Lobby’s I Love This Yarn. Any medium weight yarn will work well. Since these are for kids (and hands!) washable is necessary.
The half double crochet stitch is a great basic stitch that has texture. I love how the hdc works up in rows. This makes for a simple and quick pattern, but a little texture too.
Fingerless Gloves for the Family
The children’s fingerless gloves include 3 sizes. In the chart below there are measurements by age and size so you can choose the best fit.
- 60yds/55m-80 yds/73m of #4 worsted weight yarn, pictured in Yarn Bee Secret Soft in Shale.
- 5mm US size H-8 crochet hook, or hook needed to meet gauge
- yarn needle
- measuring tape
Ch 1 at the beginning of the row does not count as a stitch.
Stitches/Abbreviations (US Terms)
Gloves are worked as a flat rectangle, then seamed. You will leave an opening for the thumb.
Since yarn stretches, and to minimize bulk, these are snug fitting gloves. Go up a size if you want a looser fit.
Since these are simple half double crochet gloves, you can change the stitch count as needed.
|Child||2-4 yr||4-6yr||6-8 yr|
|Width, seamed, flat|
Scroll down for the simple fingerless gloves crochet pattern in kids sizes.
- #4 medium worsted weight yarn:
- 2-4 yrs 60yds/55m
- 4-6 yrs 70yds/64m
- 6-8 yrs 80 yds/73m
- 5mm US size H-8 crochet hook, or hook needed to meet gauge.
- Fhdc 13 (16, 18) or ch 14 (17, 19) and hdc in the 2nd ch from your hook and in each ch across, turn. =4”/10cm (5”/12.7cm, 5.5”/14cm)
- Ch 1, in same st hdc, hdc in each st across, turn.
- Rep last row til work measures 4”/10cm (4.75”/12cm, 5.25”/13.3cm) long.
- Cut yarn, leave a long tail for seaming. Fold in half lengthwise.
- From the top down sew 1.2”/3cm (1.5”/3.8cm, 1.7”/4.3cm). Leave .8”/2cm (1”/2.5cm, 1”/2.5cm) thumbhole unseamed. Then sew last 2”/5 (2.25”/5.7cm, 2.5”/6.4cm).
- Cut yarn and weave in ends.
If you love learning by video tutorial be sure to check out my YouTube Channel!