Christmas Lights crochet, or otherwise are one of the most festive holiday displays the season. Learn how to crochet a Christmas Lightbulb for your seasonal decor.
These Crochet Christmas Lightbulbs make a festive addition to your wrapped gifts, beautiful banners and unique Christmas ornaments.
It’s simple to crochet. And even easier to adorn-just add a loop of yarn at the top.
These Christmas lights crochet up flat and then you will seam them together. Add a little stuffing and you have a bulb.
I love that you can crochet all the colors and make a beautiful display. Crocheting up all that scrap yarn is the best.
You can use any yarn you have on hand. I use Red Heart Super Saver for these in red and black.
I prefer the bottom of the bulb to be in dark green, but I was fresh out when I made this video!
My kids especially love decorating for Christmas. I love that I can crochet Christmas decorations for them to safely do so.
For helping changing colors you might like to check out the step by step tutorial in the Dr. Seuss Inspired Crochet Bookmark Pattern.
There are several helpful tips in C2C Crochet Blanket Tips on Color Changes as well.
More Free Crochet Christmas Patterns
Crochet the Christmas Light Appliqué Pattern if you prefer the flat version. Plus this post includes the photo tutorial.
The Crochet Christmas Lights Blanket is still my favorite Christmas make!
I love this Merry Grinchmas Blanket from Trista at While They Dream!
And the fastest crochet home decoration is the Sparkle Snowflake crochet pattern + video!
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy for details.
10 yds worsted weight yarn yds in red & 5 yds green (or black), pictured in Red Heart Super Saver yarn*
5mm (H) crochet hook* I highly recommend Furls ergonomic hooks!
1″ x 1″ = 4 sc x 4 rows
Ch 1 at the beginning of a row does not count as a stitch.
Christmas Lightbulb Video
Watch the full video tutorial for the Christmas Lightbulb on my Youtube channel.
- 10 yds red, 5 yds green (or black) #4 worsted weight yarn
- Hook size 5mm (H)
- yarn needle
- In green, Ch 5, sc in 2nd chain from your hook and in each ch across, turn. (4 sts)
- Ch 1, sc in each st across, change to red on the last st, turn. (4 st)
- In red, Ch 1, sc in ea st across, turn. (4 sts)
- Ch 1, 2 sc in first st, sc in each of the next 2 sts, 2 sc in the last st, turn. (6 sts)
- Ch1, sc in each sc across, turn. (6 sts)
- Ch 1, 2 sc in first sc, sc in each of next 4 sts, 2 sc in last st, turn. (8 sts)
- Ch 1, sc in each st across, turn. (8 sts)
- Ch 1, sc in first st, sc2tog, sc in next 2 sts, sc2tog, sc in last st, turn. (6 sts)
- Ch 1, sc in each stitch across, turn. (6 sts)
- Ch 1, sc in first st, sc2tog, sc2tog, sc in last st, turn. (4 sts)
- Ch 1, sc in each stitch across, turn. (4 sts)
- Ch 1, sc2tog, sc2tog, turn. (2 sts)
- Ch 1, sc2tog, leave a long tail for sewing together.
Make 2 per light bulb.
- Lay both appliques on top of one another.
- With long tail and yarn needle sew bottom of bulb together.
- Change to red and sew one side of bulb together.
- Lightly stuff with polyfill (or yarn scraps!)
- Continue seaming other side.
- Weave yarn up through center and out tip to create a loop for hanging.
- Weave in loose ends.