Learn how to crochet the extended single crochet stitch. This stitch is taller and looks almost just like a single crochet.
esc = extended single crochet
Esc is the abbreviation according to the Craft Yarn Council. In the past I (and possibly others) also use exsc for the abbreviation.
This is easily one of my favorite stitches, and it’s really just a variant on a basic single crochet.
I love how it works up in this acrylic and alpaca wool blend yarn. You really get a sense of depth and texture and we’re just crocheting the same one row repeat.
This post contains affiliate links, I may earn a fee. Read more disclosure policy.
Crochet Patterns that use the Extended Single Crochet
In this tutorial I’m using Touch of Alpaca yarn. This lovely yarn is the same I use for the Elena Knit Sweater.
You can use any weight yarn, just be sure to match your hook to your yarn.
About this stitch
The extended single crochet is both pretty and useful. It makes a single crochet a bit taller, but looks pretty similar.
So this means you can use it in single crochet to add a little shaping, without changing up the texture of your fabric too much.
Adding the chain 1 before the single crochet creates a nice drape. That makes the esc more versatile than single crochet, which tends to be tight and curl at the edges.
- any weight yarn, for this tutorial I’m using Touch of Alpaca, a #4 med weight yarn, divided in two colors
- hook compatible with your yarn, I’m using my Peach Odyssey in 5mm US size H crochet hook
- yarn needle
- measuring tape
- Ch 1 does not count as a stitch.
Stitches/Abbreviations (US Terms)
Click any of these links for the tutorial.
sk-skip the indicated stitch
The extended sc is a taller version of the single crochet.
4”/10cm x 4”/10cm= 11 esc x 10 rows of esc
This swatch is crocheted flat in back and forth rows. You will turn after each row.
The stitch multiple for this stitch is any number. Just note that the first two chains are skipped and will not count as stitches.
Esc Video Tutorial
Extended Single Crochet Photo Tutorial
- Any weight yarn, here I'm using Touch of Alpaca, a #4 medium worsted weight yarn.
- Hook compatible with your yarn, I'm using my 5mm (H) Peach Odyssey
- Chain any number, plus 2. Here I chain 12, so I'll end with 10 stitches.
- Insert hook in the 3rd chain (skipped chains do not count as a stitch), yo and pull up a loop (2 loops on hook).
- Yo and pull through 1 loop (2 loops on hook).
- Yo and pull through both loops on your hook. This makes one exsc stitch.
- Exsc in each ch across: Insert hook in next ch, yo and pull up a loop, yo and pull through 1 loop, yo and pull through both loops.
- Turn and ch 1, this ch 1 does not count as a stitch.
- Exsc in first stitch.
- Exsc in each stitch across.
- Keep repeating for the length of the project.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Copyright © 2021 ChristaCoDesign/Crystal Marin. This pattern is for personal use only. Please feel free to sell and/or gift items you personally make from this pattern. You may not distribute this pattern and/or photos in any form, including screenshots, email, photocopying, or posting photos of this pattern online, or elsewhere. Please use this link https://christacodesign.com/2021/04/23/how-to-crochet-extended-single-crochet-tutorial/ if you would like to share this pattern.