Learn how to crochet the front loop only double crochet stitch in this step by step tutorial. The double crochet is usually worked under both loops of a stitch. To crochet under the front loop, work into the loop closest to you.
The front loop dc is an easy stitch to make. You will need to know where the front loop is on a double crochet. Then you’ll know exactly where to put your crochet hook.
I’ve included photos for each step of crocheting in the front loop below. This tutorial uses the double crochet stitch to show the front loop, but you can use any crochet stitch.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy for details.
The front loop crochet stitches work up fantastic in most yarns. I love how it gives the fabric a little stretch. And when you crochet the front loop stitches and pair them with back loop stitches, or even regular crochet stitches the result is amazing texture.
A little crochet tip I’ve learned is when my hook is having trouble gliding through the stitches, I can use the front loop or back loop stitch to make it easier. Just working to get the hook under one loop instead of two works like a charm.
What Can I Crochet With The Front Loop Double Crochet Stitch?
The Nebbia Chunky Scarf is worked with the front loop only double crochet stitch. It also features this same gorgeous yarn. The Nebbia Scarf crochets up quick and you’ll be able to practice your front loop double crochets.
The Nebbia Chunky Crochet Sweater looks amazing in the flo dc and Red Heart Dreamy. Crocheting with the flo dc lends this easy, beginner friendly sweater texture and drape in one. Bonus-this sweater is crocheted top down, in the round so there’s no sewing!
The California Crochet Wrap works up beautifully in self striping yarn and the front loop only single crochet stitch. This easy crochet rectangle wrap makes a perfect light shawl.
The Cara Crochet Face Scrubby features the front loop single crochet. These little crochet scrubbies make great stash busting gifts. Especially with the wrapper, you can purchase the Scrubby Wrapper PDF for printing at home for a small cost from my Etsy shop. Or join my newsletter and print it off for free from the Resource Library.
- This stitch works with any weight yarn and compatible hook
- For this tutorial I’m using my Furls Streamline Swirl in Cookies N Cream size (L) 7mm and Red Heart Dreamy a #5 bulky yarn.
Stitches/Abbreviations (US Terms)
flo-front loop only
In this tutorial I’ve worked a flat swatch of double crochets using the flo double crochet and back loop double crochet to contrast.
The front loop double crochet can be used the same way in the round. How you crochet under the front loop does not change.
Front Loop Double Crochet Tutorial
- any weight yarn
- crochet hook compatible with yarn
- The front loop of the stitch is the one closest to you, marked here with an orange yarn needle.
- To double crochet into the front loop, yarn over, bring your hook below the front loop, insert your hook under the front loop, from bottom up.
- Yarn over and pull up a loop, you'll have 3 loops on your hook.
- Yarn over again and pull through 2 of the loops on your hook. You'll have 2 loops left on your hook.
- Yarn over again and pull through the last two loops on your hook. Now you have one complete flo dc or double crochet in the front loop only.
The flo or front loop only technique can be used with any crochet stitch. To crochet a half double crochet in the flo, yo, insert your hook under the front loop, yo and pull up a loop, yo again and pull through all three loops. To crochet a flo single crochet, insert your hook under the front loop, yo and pull up a loop, yo and pull through both loops on your hook.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.