Learn how to join foundation double crochet when crocheting in the round. In this step by step tutorial I’ll show you how to use those foundation stitches so you can start working in the round.
Foundation stitches are great if you want to skip working into a long chain. But can you use them when you need to work in the round?
If you need to learn foundation stitches then start with this tutorial on the fdc.
fdc=foundation half double crochet
How is the Foundation DC Used in the Round?
The foundation double crochet can also be joined when crocheting in the round. We just have to join the bottom “chain” and the top.
To join the last fdc to the first, you’ll insert your hook first into the bottom of the last stitch and then into the bottom of first stitch you made.
From here you follow the process to make a normal fdc. If this doesn’t make sense yet, don’t worry I include pictures below.
What are FDC?
The foundation double crochet stitch is made by crocheting a chain 1 first, then you make a regular double crochet stitch. Be sure to watch the full tutorial if this is a new stitch for you.
A simple way to join with foundation stitches
There is a simple joining technique for fdc in the round. First you need a regular row of foundation dc stitches.
Slip stitch the first and last stitches together as you normally would when crocheting in the round.
Then use the yarn tail to join the bottom of the last and first stitches together. Since the yarn tail is right there, and you have to weave it in anyway.
You might also like these foundation stitch tutorials
How To Join Foundation DC In The Round
- Any weight yarn; for this tutorial I'm using a #3 light weight yarn.
- A hook that's compatible to your yarn; I'm using my 5mm Streamline.
- Work fdc stitches until you have 1 more to make.
- On the last fdc, YO + insert hook into bottom of the stitch you just made.
- Then insert your hook in bottom ch of the first stitch made to form a circle.
- YO + pull through both stitches.
- Now finish the double crochet: YO + pull through two loops, YO + pull through last two loops.
- Now sl st to top of first st.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Watch the step by step video tutorial on my Jumprope.