The basketweave stitch is an easy knitting stitch to create a beautiful texture. Combine knits and purls to knit a basket like stitch that works well in many yarn weights.
Learn how to knit the basketweave stitch in this easy knitting tutorial. There are a few ways to knit basket weave with different stitch combinations. I share one basketweave stitch pattern here.
This post contains affiliate links, I may earn a fee. Read more disclosure policy.
This basket weave stitch pattern is a simple four row (or round) repeat. It’s an easy purl and knit stitch pattern that you can quickly knit up.
Any weight yarn and matching needles. In the sample I use Paintbox Simply Super Chunky* a #6 super bulky weight yarn (100% acrylic, 3.5 oz. / 100 g, 65 yd. / 60 m) in color soft fudge on 8mm US Size 11 knitting needles.
You can knit the basketweave stitch in any weight yarn and needles suitable to your yarn. I love how this texture works up in the chunky yarn though!
To knit this stitch flat you need a multiple is 4 + 3. This means the number of stitches you cast on needs to be divisible by 4, and then you add another 3 stitches to your number.
For instance 16 = 4 x 4, or 16/4 = 4. Then add 3: 16 + 3 = 19. So a cast on of 19 would work for this stitch.
Stitches/Abbreviations US Terms
BO – bind off
CO – Cast On
K – knit
P – purl
rep – repeat
st(s) – stitch(es)
4”/10cm x 4”/10cm = 9.5 sts x 16 rows in basket weave pattern, unblocked
For help checking gauge I have a tutorial on what gauge is and how to measure it.
Scroll down for the basketweave stitch knitting pattern!
- Any weight yarn, in the sample I use Paintbox Simply Chunky a #6 super bulky weight yarn (100% acrylic, 3.5 oz. / 100 g, 65 yd. / 60 m) in color soft fudge.
- Needles to match your yarn. I use 8mm US Size 11 knitting needles for this tutorial.
- CO 19, or a multiple of 4 + 3; you can also just add or subtract in 4s to my cast on.
- Row 1. (RS) K
- Row 2. *K3, P1 rep * until 3 sts left, K3.
- Row 3. K
- Row 4. K1, *P1, K3 rep * until 2 sts left, P1, K1.
- Rep these 4 rows for length.