Learn how to knit ribbing for hats. This 1 x 1 ribbing gives you a great stretchy ribbing for bottom up beanies.
I think knitting a rib is one of the first things we learn as new knitters. It has so many uses from hats to sweaters!
For this tutorial I’m knitting in the round with my cable needles. If you need to know how to join your knitting in the round start here.
I use this 1 x 1 ribbing in the Alba Knit Hat pattern, which is an easy superbulky hat pattern.
This rib is knit by alternating knits and purls. Then you continue knitting the knits and purling the purls.
1 x 1 and 2 x 2 rib are pretty common ribbing methods for hats and garments. The Elena Sweater uses the 2 x 2 rib on the hem and cuffs.
This tutorial demonstrates how to knit this ribbing in the round. However, you can also knit it flat. I include written instructions for both.
For this tutorial I’m knitting with Red Heart With Love* in the color Cameo. It’s such a pretty purply pink.
This is a nice soft #4 medium worsted weight yarn from Red Heart. You can use any yarn for this technique if you’re just practicing.
For this tutorial I’m knitting on my 4.5mm US 7 Knitter’s Pride Karbonz interchangeable needles.
I love having interchangeable needles. It makes switching from a large needle size to a smaller one, like in the Alba Hat, so easy.
Never Miss a Pattern
Be sure to join my newsletter for my weekly emails + access to my Resource Library.
Knitting Patterns You Might Like
Giana Knit Pocket Shawl is a squishy garter stitch rectangle shawl.
The Nocca Knit Blanket knits up quick in superbulky yarn and is a simple four row repeat.
The Bianca Bookmark is a quick knit that makes a sweet gift for a favorite reader.
Stitches/Abbreviations (US Terms)
To Knit 1 x 1 Ribbing Flat
- Cast on an even number or sts.
- *(K1, P1) rep from * to end of row.
- Rep this row for length of work.
To Knit 1 x 1 Ribbing in the Round
- Cast on an even number of sts.
- Join to knit in the round.
- *(K1, P1) rep from * to end of round.
- Rep this round for length of work.
1 x 1 Ribbing in the Round Tutorial
- For this tutorial I’m knitting with Red Heart With Love* in the color Cameo. It’s a #4 medium worsted weight yarn. You can use any weight yarn for this technique if you’re just practicing.
- For this tutorial I’m knitting on my 4.5mm US 7 needles on 16" cables.
- Cast on an even number of stitches.
- Without twisting, join in the round by knitting the first stitch.
- I knit the first stitch so now I will purl the next stitch.
- Keep repeating around: knit 1, purl 1.
- When you get to the first stitch, you can use a stitch marker to mark the beginning or the tail like I do here.
- Keep knitting the knits & purling the purls.
- Continue the 1 round repeat: k1, p1 until your ribbing is as tall as you like (1.5"-3").
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Watch the step by step video on Jumprope here.
Copyright © 2021 ChristaCoDesign/Crystal Marin. This pattern is for personal use only. Please feel free to sell and/or gift items you personally make from this pattern. You may not distribute this pattern and/or photos in any form, including scanning, emailing, photocopying, or posting photos of this pattern online, or elsewhere. To share please use this link https://christacodesign.com/2021/02/16/how-to-knit-ribbing-for-hats-1-x-1-ribbing-tutorial/